Rival recipe sites

As we're trying to get back into the swing of things, I am trying to get back into a cooking groove - you know, enjoying it and making things actually taste good.

Last night, figuring A would want something homecooked and being slightly hungry after all the stomach issues, I made what is normally an old faithful: tuna burgers with mashed potatoes and corn on the cob.

It was obvious to me I'm not quite back in the groove yet. The meal tasted OK, but it was just so-so. Kind of bland and kind of dry.

Tuna burgers are always a hit around the Vanderburg house, but last night was a bit of a flop. Blame it on my timing or my taste buds.

So anyways, at lunch I watched Hell's Kitchen, which always inspires me to be a great chef, and started trying to figure out tonight's dinner menu. I hit up my two favorite recipe sites, Kraft foods and AllRecipes. Although there are pros and cons to both, I favor one over the other, and always get excited about trying their recipes.

Ladies, if you use these sites, do you prefer one? What are some of your favorite recipes I need to try from them? Also, let me know if you have any dinner suggestions as I keep searching ;)

I'm going to try not to use a ton of dishes, since our dishwasher is broken. Again. I don't know how many times now I have emptied the dishwasher and we have washed the dishes by hand, but it is one time too many.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, truth be told, I'm no cook. I get the job done...but it's really not a love of mine.
But I do love Kraft Foods.
You should try these recipes:
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/chicago-style-steak-blue-cheese-60623.aspx
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/chicken-cacciatore-macaroni-51489.aspx
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/potsticker-dumplings-92007.aspx
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/cheesy-chicken-simmer-91557.aspx

Let me know if you need a taste tester. ;-)

Elisabeth said...

I swear by the Pioneer Woman: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/

In fact, most of my stand-by recipes are either from her website or Tasty Kitchen http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/

I love her step-by-step pictures... it makes it almost impossible to ruin. Her lasagna is amazing and a great entertaining meal because of its complex flavors.

Michelle said...

I've never used the kraft foods site, but I like allrecipes. I also have a food blog: www.scarbroughkitchen.blogspot.com. It's recipes that I've revamped to my own taste. A lot of them were originally Cooking Light recipes, but I've changed almost all of them somehow. Good luck with the cooking thing: it can be a challenge!

Matt and Lindsay Bledsoe said...

I'm in a cooking slump right now, but I love the pioneer woman's recipes and step by step instructions. She host another recipe website called Tasty Kitchen that I've used a few times too and they're always good recipes.

A friend said...

Lasagna Mexicano

12 flour tortillas
2 chopped tomatoes
1 chopped onion
1 large jar taco sauce
1 large pkg. shredded mozzarella cheese
1 lb. hamburger

Oil a cake pan. Fry hamburger. Layer pan with 6 flour tortillas. Put half of browned hamburger, chopped tomato, onion, and taco sauce on top (mix together first in frying pan), then another layer of tortillas, hamburger, tomato, onion, and taco sauce. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 1/2 hour.

So good and very addicting. Plus, it is even better the next day!

IT IS A FAMILY FAVORITE


About Me

My photo
I'm a 20-something transplanted Southerner - in love with my Savior and in love with my husband. As we move from urban-loft dwellers to home-owners and parents, feel free to share in the happenings around the VanderHouse.

Follow Me On Twitter

Ebates: Get Cash Back!

Swagbucks: Earn gift cards & prizes!

Search & Win