Smarter than a 5th grader

The local country station, in an homage to Jeff Foxworthy I suppose, invites listeners to call in and play a modified version of "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?" every morning with the chance to show off their intellectual prowess and win some fun things, too.

This morning, I proved to the radio world that I AM smarter than a 5th grader - contrary to popular belief ;) I credit the brown hair with increasing my smarts. Not really.

Ok, maybe a little. I wonder if they could tell by my quick answers that I'm a brunette now?

As I was driving into the office this morning, the announcement and phone number comes on over the radio to play. I decided that since I was sure I had heard the phone number correctly (always a fear of mine!), I'd give it a whirl.

First call: Busy signal. Second call: Lots of ringing and then a "Hello, who's this?" I told the morning-show host my name and where I was from, and he briefed me on the rules (answer 3 out of 5 questions correctly and win!). After a wait time of listening to the weather report, traffic report and "Red Rag Top" play, I was ready to go.

However, I will admit I was a teensy bit nervous. Like, hands shaking, heart racing, about to get your first kiss kind of nervous. I didn't want to blow it and have to admit on the air that I was NOT smarter than a 5th grader! As I was driving and waiting to play, I considered pulling off the road for several reasons: To be sure I had clear reception, to make sure I was focused on the game, and to ensure that I didn't have a nervous heart attack and drive an XTerra bomb into somebody.

Thankfully, I pulled into the parking lot of my office - with solid reception - turned the car off and got my heart quieted just in time to play.

So, here are my three questions. I wasn't asked questions #4 and #5 because I'm a smarty pants and got the first three right! Without looking them up at all, let's see if YOU are smarter than a 5th grader! Unfortunately for you, I won't be sharing my front-row tickets to a Sara Evans concert or my Tanger outlet gift card, but you can have share in the satisfaction :)

Here goes:

1) When all the words in a sentence start with the same sound, what is that called?
...................(No multiple choice options, just a long awkward pause while I wait for them to give me the non-forthcoming options! Whoops :)
2) True or False: The pistil is the male part of the flower.
3) Which of these is not a famous Beethoven? A composer, a dog, an artist?

So there you go - my winning questions. I'm still so giddy :)

Edit: People, I can see you looking at this. You're SUPPOSED to comment with your answers!

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) When all the words in a sentence start with the same sound, what is that called?
*Alliteration.
2) True or False: The pistil is the male part of the flower.
*Ummm...false?
3) Which of these is not a famous Beethoven? A composer, a dog, an artist?
*Artist


Sooo..am I smarter than a 5th grader?? lol.

Michelle said...

Kristel stole all my answers.

I'm jealous that you get to see Sara Evans in concert! She's one of the few country singers I actually like!

jessie said...

same answers as above. way to go!! i always have the fear of getting the number wrong too :)

Lauren V. said...

Yay ladies!! You're all smarter than a 5th grader too! Correct on all accounts. Congratulations :) Those master's degrees are coming in handy!

Derek and Amanda said...

I am not smarter than a 5th grader. I got 2 of the three wrong if the previous answers are right. :( Sad, maybe it is because I do not have brunette hair. haha! :)

Matt and Lindsay Bledsoe said...

I got 2 out of 3 :( THat's awesome you did so well haha! WHat did you win?

Matt and Lindsay Bledsoe said...

obviously I'm not smarter than a 5th grader....I just read what you won...oops

kathy said...

Congratulations--that sounds awesome!


About Me

My photo
I'm a 20-something transplanted Southerner - in love with my Savior and in love with my husband. As we move from urban-loft dwellers to home-owners and parents, feel free to share in the happenings around the VanderHouse.

Follow Me On Twitter

Ebates: Get Cash Back!

Swagbucks: Earn gift cards & prizes!

Search & Win